NSHE Chancellor Thom Reilly announced June 24 that the option for students to request a change to satisfactory/unsatisfactory (S/U) grading has been extended to Summer Term 2020 courses.
Students will be able to request a change to S/U grading AFTER final grades for each summer session they have posted. At this time, the S/U option will NOT extend to fall 2020 courses. Please see below for important information about the S/U grading process.
- Forms to request a change in grading basis to S/U will be available starting July 15, 2020 in the UNLV Self-Service Center for undergraduate students, and in the Grad Rebel Gateway for graduate students. Log in to the UNLV Self-Service Center to learn more about how to complete the form and which factors to consider before making this request, or visit academic advising FAQ or the Graduate College Coronavirus Update page.
- Forms will only be accepted AFTER final grades post in MyUNLV for each summer session. It is important that you check your final grades, so that you are aware of the letter grades you might choose to replace.
The last day to submit the grade basis change form for a summer course will be September 8, 2020 at 5:00 P.M. PDT.
- Students must communicate with an academic advisor or graduate coordinator BEFORE you submit your grade basis change form, to be sure you understand the potential impacts of S/U grades on your degree progression. Online/telephone appointments are available: https://www.unlv.edu/advising
- If students request a change to S/U grading for any of your courses, the Office of the Registrar will make changes according to the following equivalencies:
“S” = “D-” or better for undergraduate students
“S” = “B-” or better for graduate students
“U” = “F” for undergraduate students
“U” = “C+” or lower for graduate students
- “S” and “U” grades are not included in grade point average (GPA) or grade point balance calculations. If you choose the S/U option for all of your classes, you will have no summer 2020 term GPA, and your cumulative GPA will not change. If you choose the S/U option for some of your summer courses, only those courses for which you keep letter grades will be used to calculate your term GPA.
- Students should contact Financial Aid Services if you have questions about the impact of S/U grades on your aid/scholarship eligibility.
- “S” grades will satisfy most prerequisites and graduation requirements. However, you should consult with your academic advisor about specific requirements of your program.
- “S” grades in courses that serve as prerequisites will enable you to register for fall 2020 courses through MyUNLV.
- Students in Social Work and Pre-Nursing will not be able to request S/U grading for certain required courses. These courses will be listed on the S/U petition form for summer.
- Boyd School of Law, UNLV School of Medicine, and School of Dental Medicine will establish their own procedures for summer 2020 grades. Law, medical, and dental students should consult with their respective Deans’ offices.
- The deadline for spring 2020 S/U grading requests has passed. Students who wish to request grading basis changes for Spring should use the Faculty Senate General Petition Form.
Source & more information: https://www.unlv.edu/coronavirus/students